Tuesday, January 1, 2008

A New Year, a Fresh Start

It's been almost 8 months since I blogged over at my old blog, And Then I Stepped in Gum, and I think it's time I got started up again. I've been wanting to update my posts to include my knitting progress, and now it's time. I also want to connect this blog with my yarn dyeing business, Bluestocking Yarns. So here we go!

I'm off to an auspicious start for the new year -- my first FO, just 17 minutes into the year:



Yarn: Blue Moon Fiber Arts Socks That Rock
Colorway: Romancing the Stone
Pattern: Merino Lace Socks from Favorite Socks

It feels good to have this done -- the first sock was one of the infamous members of my Single Sock Hall of Shame. I'll post some pics of those sometime soon. I think I'm down to only 4 or 5 now. Anyway, I'm not crazy about the colorway. I love the pink and purple, but what I didn't notice when the yarn was in the skein was the peach/baby blue tones in the colors; they just really didn't mesh for me.

Naturally, I rewarded myself by casting on for a new sock, the Salish Sea Sock from BMFA's Rockin' Sock Club. I know, I know. I couldn't resist. I'm having fun with it, and that colorway -- blues, greens, teals -- is right up my alley.

In other news, we got a bit of snow today to start the year off right.

Ian loves his new igloo, courtesy of Grandma.



The kids spent hours out messing around in the snow. They've even created their own "sledding hill" out of the plow detritus from the neighbor's driveway. Makes me miss our quarter-mile-long sledding hill we had growing up in Nebraska. We've really got to take them ice skating or snow tubing soon -- maybe next weekend.

Got to get ready for bed. We've been spoiled for the last week or so, staying up until all hours, because we haven't had anywhere to be the next day, but tomorrow the kids are back to school. I'm looking forward to having my quiet house back, though Dave will still be off school for the next few weeks. Perhaps I can finally implement some discipline with myself and get some work done.

No comments: