Monday, February 4, 2008

Conversations in the Car

My 8-year-old daughter is just starting the crushes (Zac Efron is the most prominent, of course), and I haven't heard much about boys from her yet. However, I had the following conversation with my 5-year-old son on the way home from kindergarten. It really hammered home the fact that the Mars/Venus thing starts early.

Ian: Jessica likes me.
Me: Do you like her, too?
Ian: Yes. The only thing that is annoying about her is that whenever she sees me, she has to make MWAH, MWAH sounds to me.
Me: Oh, I see.
Ian: She asked me if I would be her boyfriend.
Me, trying to keep a straight face: And what did you say?
Ian (with scorn): No! Do you think I would have a girlfriend who is so teeny? [Jessica is on the small side]
Me: Well, most boys are taller than their girlfriends. It's really okay, and it doesn't matter how tall anyone is. But you probably are too young to have a girlfriend.
Ian: Duh! [He lets a few beats pass.] Anyway, I'm not really as much ... [searching for the words] *into* her as she is into me.

It was all I could do to keep a straight face and not run the van off the road!

1 comment:

Turner Publishing said...

Sorry to leave this in your comments section, I didn't see an email address.

I’m going around to all the Mobile area bloggers/freelancers to let them know about our new book by two local authors, the Historic Photos of Mobile by Carol Ellis and Scotty E. Kirkland. We’d love to send you a complimentary copy for possible review consideration on your blog of this book. This title is done in a large 10x10 format and all images used are culled from several archives that represent rare or never before seen photos of “Azalea City.” We’re trying to get the word out to local folks, so I hope you don’t mind me dropping you a line to let you know about our books!

You can find the authors locally at a signing at Beinville Books on May 9th at 5pm.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Best,
Rachel Joiner
Marketing Manager
www.turnerpublishing.com