Sunday, January 4, 2009

The Absent-Minded Professor, the Early Years

Background info #1: Ian got 2 pairs of Batman mix-and-match pajamas for Christmas.

Background info #2: The in-laws are visiting, so it's a bit chaotic around here, with 8 people in the house and the rambunctious puppy running all around.

The scene: We've just finished dinner (early, for a change), and Dave sends Ian, who wasn't really eating anyway, upstairs to start his bath. Ian cheerfully replies, "OK," and then we both keel over dead from the shock.

Not really. But we were surprised. "Get your other pair of Batman jammies from under the tree," Dave calls. (Note: He is still wearing the first pair, having not gotten dressed all day. I know, I know; don't judge me.) Ian trots off to the tree, then heads upstairs. Dave checks on him at least once, as there is a suspicious lack of running water and a suspicious abundance of "la, la, la" sounds floating down the stairs.

About 20 minutes pass. Katie finishes her homework, and Dave calls up a 5-minute warning to Ian. Soon, Ian bounces down the stairs and begins the chatter.

I notice something amiss. "Ian, did you put on the wrong pair of Batman jammies after your bath? That's the same pair you've been wearing all day." I could just see him picking the wrong set off the floor after the bath.

He looks down. "Oh."

I notice something else. "Ian, your hair isn't wet! Did you take a bath?"

"Oh." Pause. Sheepish grin. "I think I forgot."

"What have you been DOING for 20 minutes??"

"I don't know. Playing with my spaceship?"

I tell you, the spaceship is a perfect toy for our little space cadet!

No comments: